February 11, 2007

4.3 miles

I haven't run as far, as fast or as long as I did this afternoon since last July. The ankle injury I sustained walking on the bottom of a lake in Maine has finally healed to the point of being able to go trail running. Shadow and I ran out and up to Arnold Arboretum, tracing the perimeter of the preserve far onto the JP side before looping back. 3/4 of the way up Peters Hill, I flagged, walking the rest of the way before collapsing down to let my heart rate return to normal in the winter sun. Shadow didn't approve at all of the layabout approach to exercise, so after an insistent whine, we jogged down to the orchard groves and I cajoled him into lying down on the cold grass. I managed to run about 50 yards before he ignored my hand motions, coursing over the ground past me like a black streak. He's lost a step since his prime but can still outrun me in a blink when he wants to. Shadow was pretty beat after we got home, flagging as we ran home. though to be fair it's been a long time since he's run 4.3 miles either.

1 comment:

4 said...

At least you guys can run 4.3...