May 1, 2006

YouTube.com

It never ceases to amaze me: build something that is easy to understand and powerful in execution and the world will beat a path to your door. I remember the magic of the "I'm feeling lucky" button that Google provided back in 1999 when I first began using the site. YouTube.com seems to be riding the wave: Alexa.com rates the site as the 26th most popular globally, as of yesterday. I was able to find Steven Colbert's satiric masterpiece at the White House Correspondents Dinner over the weekend without any trouble and watch it on my laptop this weekend, an opporunity I might have missed given the curious absence of the speech from CSPAN or other cable networks. While not all video content will be similarly repurposed, I'm struck again, as always, but the power of the global network to bring people together around a great idea.

No comments: